Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sunday Culture

When our Community Coordinator sent out her list of group activities for the month of December, I was thrilled to see that a 3 hour guided tour of the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts was on the roster.  I immediately replied that I wanted to reserve a spot for myself, knowing full well that I was flying solo on this one.  I didn’t even ask Mr. U if he wanted to join in on the fun.  I knew the answer to that question.  My plan was to learn what I could on the tour in order to return with Mr. U at a later date and impress him with my vast knowledge of the collection. *grin*  (That way I could be assured of at least a yearly trip to this shining example of a world-class institution.)

Having been moved to tears by the IXXth and XXth Century collections in the past, I was eager to experience the older collections on display in the main building.  Having our own private tour guide was infinitely better than renting an audio guide and visiting the museum alone.  It certainly didn’t hurt that our guide was a staunch supporter of the Pushkin Museum and was quick to point out every detail he possibly could to reinforce his love of the institution’s spectacular holdings.  According to him, there is no need to visit the 3rd floor of the Hermitage in St. Petersburg once one has visited The Pushkin’s collection of Modern European art.  I must say that I disagree with him.  Both are very much worthwhile visiting.

I’ll let the photos do the talking about what caught my eye this time but I will say that once again, I was moved beyond speech at the overwhelmingly diverse, complete and exquisite collection of works on display.

The Grand Staircase

A. Pushkin, museum's namesake
I. Tsvetaev, museum's founder

 

Acropolis Caryatids (we saw the originals in Athens)

 

 



original ancient Egyptian statuary (priest and priestess)









Code of Hammurabi (copy)
ceremonial axe heads


Agamemnon's gold chalice




St. George slaying the dragon





note the monochromatic palette


 




 Rubens



 Vanitas





Rembrandts - perhaps portraits of his parents







IXXth and XXth Century Galleries







 

 







Rouen Cathedral


Our tour guide's first love -she was the first naked woman he had ever seen.  I guess you never forget your first.  (Renoir apparently used the same model that Manet did for his tableau Bar at the Folies-Bergère)



This Van Gogh is my favourite work on display in the entire building.


*note the two yellow butterflies in the upper left quadrant; hope still blooms, even in the bleakest of circumstances



One of Van Gogh's last paintings depicting a train headed in one direction and a carriage in the opposite direction.  It is said that the painting is a metaphor for the different journeys one travels in their lifetime and this, the final journey that Vincent was about to make.






Matisse's goldfish make me miss Earl and Dash


 






No comments:

Post a Comment