Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ciao, Venezia

Ponte dei Sospiri  Built in 1602, the bridge afforded convicts their last view of Venice before their imprisonment.  Lord Byron dubbed it The Bridge of Sighs in the 19th century in deference to a romantic notion that convicts would sigh longingly as they caught a final glimpse of the beautiful city before being led to their cells.
One cool thing about not having to deal with the trans-Atlantic flight component when traveling through Europe is that destinations are very close and it isn’t inconceivable to wake up in Moscow, have lunch in Amsterdam and then enjoy a scoop of afternoon gelato in Venice.  At 0 dark 30 last Monday, I stumbled from the apartment building and into a waiting car ready to whisk me off to the airport and on to Amsterdam for a few hours to visit with MM and then on to my final destination of Venice early that same afternoon.

My bucket list just got shorter.  Sharing gelato with J, the sweet melody of classical music in Piazza San Marco while sipping a ridiculously expensive espresso (the robust and creamy taste and impeccable service were well worth the price), an enthusiastic cry of “Ciao Bella” directed at me first thing in the morning...  Roberto Benigni is right - La vita è bella.

It was my absolute privilege to be able to stay with a very dear friend in her rented flat along the via Garibaldi.  She was kind and generous enough to shelter me and act as tour guide extraordinaire during my brief sojourn in Venezia despite having professional obligations pulling her in a million directions.  All of this she negotiated with grace and humility despite having a few sleepless nights thanks to my incessant snoring.  She is an angel.

I spent my days walking through the streets of Venice, my eyes devouring the sights, my ears catching multilingual soundbites floating through the air, breathing in the robust scent of the salty sea water and savouring the lingering caramel taste of perfectly-brewed espresso on the tip of my tongue.

Tired feet and a calm spirit were the byproduct of long days spent wandering through the winding, cobblestone-lined streets and canals in the most romantic city I have ever visited. 

Art, beauty, sunshine, colour and light.  Here is Venice through my eyes.

First glimpse of the Venetian lagoon from the Alilaguna linea Blu (airport transfer)
 Murano








Lido: views on the way to and at the beach.  I wasn't dressed properly (having left Moscow in the morning and dressed for travel) but I rolled up my sleeves, my jeans and spread out my pashmina and made the best of a sunny and comfortable afternoon at the beach.
stunning hotel on the way to the beach



love is in the air




on the way to Via Garibaldi
must have been a red/pink wash day


 
 The Piazza by night





Neighbourhood


This is how cement mixing is done in Venice.

fruit and vegetable market on a boat not 20 m from our door

For J

Rialto Market morning.  My father would have loved every moment.  I can picture him now, photographing and chatting with the vendors and shoppers and sampling the fresh fruit and veggies!










in the printmaker's studio





For IM

Cheers, Mr. U!  Thank you.

morning espresso

prosciutto crudo and melon

lunchtime organic and vegetarian restaurant






 Venetian green












The Merchant of Venice



Gondoliere








The Piazza by day











Ravel's Bolero in The Piazza

 



Masks










Blooms

for ZM

for MM

No comments:

Post a Comment