Sunday, January 12, 2014

Underground Beauty

Each city has its hidden gems and Moscow is no exception to the rule.  Every day millions of people commute under the city streets through passageways and tunnels, rushing to go somewhere.  Everyone is very busy and very important and I wonder to myself just how many actually take the time to stop and notice their surroundings.  For those who do, the Moscow underground system offers a brief respite from the daily grind.

So often we take our surroundings for granted and I must admit that after two and a half years, I find myself all too often guilty of the very same crime.  I now make a concerted effort to not take my exquisite surroundings for granted.  After all, upon my return to Canada I will no longer have unfettered access to what I (and millions of others) consider a free, underground museum and archive of the past.  I do my best to take the time to stop and really see the world around me.

So much of the iconic imagery on display recounts the history and glorious past of the Soviet era.  I can access much of the visual narrative from my own knowledge of history but there is so much more to be learned from each of the carefully planned tableaux and the flawlessly executed decor.  Not only do the images themselves speak of the pride and glory days but upon closer inspection, the craftsmanship and artistry that goes into planning and creating the stunning displays speaks of the pride and skill of the men and women who lovingly produced all of the elements that have come together to form each individual station.

An afternoon spent in the company of a knowledgeable tour guide and group of like-minded individuals who craved to learn and hear more personal tales of the Moscow underground system allowed me to access information and cultivate a much deeper appreciation of my environment.

The most poignant take away for me is that there are hidden gems hiding in plain sight.

I can not do justice to the colourful stories shared by our tour guide but I can share some "visual soundbites" that caught my attention.  I present to you a glimpse of the Moscow underground through the eyes of a keen observer who promises to never again take for granted the beauty and splendour on display every day for the common person.





 



 

 









 
 















 

No comments:

Post a Comment