Sunday, April 1, 2012

Compare and Contrast

This past week I had the pleasure of experiencing a St. Petersburg hotel two ways.  One was a 3 star hotel originally opened in 1851and the other a 5 star luxury hotel.

Firstly, it is extremely important to note that cleanliness was not an issue in either place (thankfully).  Mr. U claims that I am a very hard to please ‘Princess’ and that if it isn’t the “W”, I will always find fault with the hotel.  I contest that it isn’t wrong to appreciate the finer details that make a hotel stay the experience that it is meant to be.  Cracks in the walls, chipped paint and bathtubs that don’t drain are all elements that add up.  I’m just sayin’.  Also, there is nothing like a great mattress and feather bed to help ensure a good night’s sleep.  The feel and sound of the crinkle of crisp sheets and a warm duvet cover can’t be discounted.  It makes all the difference in the world.

For the AAS event and board meeting we were lodged at the Oktiabrskaya Hotel (re-named in 1930 in honour of the October Revolution) which was recently renovated to “correspond to a western 3 star standard”.  Oh geez...this is a point of pride?!  The location is convenient, right across the traffic circle from the Московский вокзал (Moscow Railway Station) and the entrance is jealously guarded by liveried doormen.  At first glance, the stark, marble-clad reception area could very well be a movie set awaiting for its cast and crew to arrive to begin filming a scene from Dr. Zhivago.  Thankfully the staff do speak enough English to stoically explain that they need to keep your passport for the night in order to alert the local authorities of your presence in St. Petersburg.  Wifi is available at 800 руб per 24 hours but only in the hallways and main foyer.  In the room the fee is  2 руб/minute and only through cable.  I think not, TYVM, especially since we pay 600 руб for an entire month’s service back in Moscow!

Card key and carry-on suitcase in hand, up I went in the small, ancient lift to the 4th floor where I walked for what seemed an eternity until I reached the last room, on the last floor at the end of the last corridor.  The wide, poorly-lit hallways smelled very strongly of stale smoke and my hopes for a comfortable and clean room were quickly dwindling as I nervously approached the last door before the (thankfully present) emergency exit stairwell.  To my surprise, however, once in my spacious room I discovered that there was no lingering smell.  I had seemingly stepped through a time-space continuum into another environment altogether.  The vestibule had a place for my coat and boots and the washroom was behind the door to my left.  Mirrors on the wall helped to provide the illusion of more space.  Breeching the threshold to enter the main room I was greeted by a large and spacious area complete with queen bed, a couch, large windows along the facing wall and a wardrobe, desk and flat screen television.

Isn’t it amazing how words can paint a very different picture than reality?  Look closely at the condition of the furniture, noting the body-shaped divots in the mattress, the stains on the couch and the stark decor.


The shampoo came in single-use blister packs -the kind that you tear open.

vestibule

Note the divots in the mattress...

I don't even want to know how those stains came about.

A room with a view -I spent the better part of an hour watching the traffic and listening to the rain.

Lobby check-in desk

Lobby

Seating area in the lobby

Check-in desk

Elevators



Never mind my elitist attitude, I’m just being a wanker -the room was clean and spacious and someone else was footing the bill.

The following morning we enjoyed a buffet-style brunch in the famous hotel restaurant that boasts seating for 500.  I must admit to appreciating the aesthetics of the space.  The hotel website claims the following: “Original trendy interior in light colors, loud romantic music create special relaxing atmosphere. Along with wide choice of dishes and drinks in restaurant menu it guarantees success of your business negotiations, romantic rendezvous or joyful family party or wedding holiday.”  I’m not sure that “loud romantic music will guarantee success of my romantic rendezvous” if I intend on bringing anyone back up to my very obviously used foam mattress and stained couch.  The breakfast buffet had fresh kiwis so I was a happy camper with or without loud romantic music.

Restaurant
Bar
Being so close to the train station, I felt that would be the most convenient place to hail a cab to go to my next hotel on the other side of town.  Leaving my traveling companions to return to Moscow on the next Сапсан out of St. Petersburg, I approached the official-looking taxi drivers all sporting their ID cards and real taxi cars.  I didn’t want to grab a “gypsy cab” just in case.  My Russian isn’t quite strong enough to do this on my own and I didn’t want to get taken for a ride.  Suffice it to say that I did get taken for a ride despite my trying to use common sense.  you see, I trusted the cab driver when he said don’t worry, the price is official.  Officially posted to screw the passenger is more like it.  &^%$##@!  I’m not going to get into the embarrassing details other than to say that despite my negotiating skills normally being fairly adept (Is smacking the gorilla-sized taxi driver on the arm a good tactic? NO it isn’t, BTW), nothing doing this time.  I paid the man 1500 руб (it should have been ~600 руб) and thoroughly disgusted with myself, I proceeded to the hotel check-in.

The lobby was decorated with warm, rich materials and radiated a sense of grandeur reminiscent of times gone by.  It had a cozy and intimate feel and the staff were perfectly at ease in English, making me feel instantly more comfortable.  Passport (they photocopied the document, preferring not to keep it) and room key in hand, I zipped up to the 5th floor and again walked to Hell’s half acre to my room.  Why do we always get relegated to the ends of the Earth?

Less spacious but infinitely better appointed, this room had a view of the interior courtyard and a lobby wifi signal strong enough to reach our room.  Mr. U joined me later that evening after paying 700 руб for his taxi ride from the train station.


Hotel lobby


Room 514

A real soaking tub with yummy shampoo, etc

Corner comfort
The following day we took advantage of the quiet atmosphere of the lobby bar to indulge in martinis and lattés.  To our delight, the loud romantic music was supplied by a woman, her violin, an amplifier and a healthy collection of pre-recorded background tunes.  My personal favourite was the Elvis tune.




Isn’t diversity wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment