Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jy-Janteek Call-Yooms

Day two of our Athens adventure and frankly, I'm exhausted and overwhelmed and really, really sore from all of the climbing and walking BUT I feel like I have died and gone to heaven.  We spent the better part of the afternoon crawling all over the Acropolis (apparently they stop admitting visitors after 14h30 - which explains the fact that there are no people in yesterday's photos of the site), walking along Apostolou Pavlou (a cafe-lined street), weaving through the Sunday flea market in Thession Park and wandering around the Temple of Hephaestus and the Ancient Agora. 

Theatre of Dionysos as seen from atop the Acropolis

Reconstructed Ionic columns at the entrance to the Acropolis             photo: Mr. U

Columns at the entrance to the Acropolis                      photo: Mr. U

The Erechtheum contained sanctuaries to Athena Polias, Poseidon, and Erechtheus  (note the Porch of the Caryatids on the right)

The Parthenon

The Parthenon from afar

View of the Parthenon

Bas-relief frieze atop the Parthenon

The Erechtheum on the Acropolis

Marble column detail                    photo: Mr. U

Edge of the Erechtheum

Entry/exit gate to/from the Acropolis                    photo: Mr. U

City view from atop the Acropolis                         photo: Mr. U

Reconstruction

Blue skies...nothing but blue skies...



I know it seems otherwise, but trust me, there ARE people in Athens.  As you know by now, I have a habit of shooting as few people as possible, preferring to concentrate on the sights and not the tourists.  This also explains why you never see any photos of me in front of the sights -1) I don't want to shatter the camera lens and 2) I'm here to see the sights, not me (I have a mirror for that)!

Taken surreptitiously because, like Medusa, eye contact with me would have turned Mr. U to stone.

οἱ πολλοί (hoi polloi) on the Acropolis


The Temple of Hephaestus and the Ancient Agora were almost deserted and allowed for quiet reflection while taking in the monumental and breathtaking vistas.

The Temple of Hephaestus -the patron god of metalworking and craftsmanship   photo: Mr. U
Taken with my iPhone -Temple of Hephaestus

Distant view of the Acropolis from the Temple of Hephaestus              photo: Mr. U

I took out my colouring pencils for this one.

Site of the Odeion of Agrippa and Gymnasium or "Palace of the Giants"
We had a late lunch at a beautiful little restaurant in the Plaka district where we had the courtyard all to ourselves.  When the waiter found out we were from Canada he asked if we were from Toronto...it seems that all the Athenians know Toronto.  Funny that.  I'm waiting for someone to ask if I know their cousin who lives there.  The waiter was very sweet and was pleased with Mr. U's choice of a Greek salad (of course!) and as a main course -the lamb.  I had an arugula salad with mushrooms and spanakopita. Our waiter liked us so much that he brought us a complimentary dessert of baklava and vanilla bean ice cream.  YUM!!!

Restaurant courtyard
Restaurant courtyard



Needing to walk off the rich food and drink we wandered through the alleys and streets for a bit until we could find a cab to take us back to the hotel.  Rounding a corner we came upon the Cathedral of Athens in the Mitropoleos Square.  Both the facade and the interior are currently undergoing extensive reconstruction but once the facelift is finished it won't be difficult to imagine how stunning it will be once again.

Cathedral of Athens -note the Corinthian capitals

I wonder what excitement tomorrow will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment